Thursday, September 23, 2010

Blessed

I have been meaning to get some posts up but haven't felt like it. Sorry it's the truth. Actually we had regional conference a week and a half ago and Sister Beck told us "we are doing better then we think we are" and then followed that up with "but we could be doing better than we are." She also went on to say women are spending too much time on the computer and not enough time nurturing their children. So I have been spending a lot less time at the computer and a lot more time with my kids--I love it. But this blog is something I want to keep up. I feel like it's a family journal in a way. So I need to find the balance between keeping a journal which was also mentioned in conference and not spending too much time at the computer. What to do?

Anyway I have been wanting to write for over a week about an experience I had while making dinner the other night. I was making Chicken Parmesan without the Parmesan (cause I never have it in the house). I had breaded the chicken and was cooking it on the stove, already had one piece in my Pyrex pan that was sitting on the stove so the move from the pan wouldn't be too far. I was halfway done cooking the second and last piece and about to put them into the hot oven to finish cooking and heat the sauce and melt the cheese when I thought I needed to heat the water for the corn on the cob. So I leaned over and turned on the element (the pan was already full of hot water from the tap) and then flipped my chicken to cook on the other side.

I don't remember now what it was I needed from the fridge but I walked over the 3 ft and had my head in the fridge when all of a sudden there was an explosion. Loud, crashing glass, stinging in my ankle explosion. I didn't know what had happened I just yelled thinking the kids had dropped a plate by the table. I shut the fridge door and saw glass EVERYWHERE! My 9x13 pan had exploded. I had turned on the wrong element I guess. At first I thought I could salvage dinner until I saw little slivers of glass in ALL the food. Note: when it says don't put a pan on the element DON'T. It explodes litterally thousands of pieces everywhere. Steve walked in the door shortly after it happened and came to help clean up the mess and keep the kids out of the dinning room and kitchen (yes it went clear into the dinning room).

I had felt a stinging in my foot but paid no attention to it until Steve leaned over and wiped blood off my heal. It was then that I pretty much lost it. Even standing 3 ft away glass had cut my foot. I don't know why I went to the fridge but had I not, that pan would have blown up in my face. Where do we even begin talking about tender mercies? I knew Heavenly Father was watching out for me right then. How could anyone not know it?

I did find it funny (kind of) that the next day Steve goes "I just have to ask, why were you crying yesterday?" I just shook my head and said "cause I was almost done making dinner and I had to start all over with something else" "Really?" he questioned. Well it was part but really I was so overwhelmed at how I had just been protected from something that could have been so seriously dangerous. I guess I have one more example of how much God knows me personally, even to keep me protected and all my little ones as well.

1 comment:

Julie W said...

No way. I am teary about your experience, because as a mother I too have had saving moments. You are so blessed.