Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Valentines Day

We had a great Valentines Day here at our house. Well at least the food was all good. I realized that the way I show my family I love them is through food. Why is that? I need to expand my ways because right now it's making me expand my waist! I started the day out making the kids lunches and of course had to cut their sandwiches with a big heart cookie cutter. Then it was on to breakfast. Why not heart pancakes? They were whole wheat though, so that was healthy right?

Railey and I decided to surprise the boys and make hearts and put in their beds. While we were making them she kept giggling to herself and saying "When the boys find these they're gonna say, What the heck?" It was pretty cute. In fact as soon as the boys came home she told them to go look in their blankets, which they did and found the hearts. Then she told them they were supposed to say "What the heck?" They did and she was happy!
For lunch I had to make heart sandwiches for my girls too!

Every year for the past couple of years we have a big Valentines Dinner. We make a very fancy dinner, usually served in courses (not this year I wanted my food hot), we dress up in our Sunday best (not this year because Sunday best hadn't been washed from the day before), and we usually have candles (not this year it was still light outside when we ate). So it was a little different than most years but probably tastier. I over heard Damen telling his friend that we always have crab for dinner. Well again not this year but we did have Salmon, Shrimp, heart wheat bread sticks and asparagus. Very yummy!

Oh of course we needs something red so Steve made a slushy out of fresca and Strawberries

Here's everyone anticipating the yumminess about to hit their tummies
Of course it's served on out best dishes with the fancy "cheers" glasses.
I know most people have chocolate for a desert--it is an aphrodisiac--but not us. Steves and the kids favorite desert is Pumpkin Pie. So I made hearts out of the leftover crust and put it in the cream the kids thought they were so SPECIAL!

Oh boy we were stuffed by the end of the night and I sat wondering why do I show love this way. I don't know why but it is something I know how to do and I love to do for them.

Steve on the other hand wrote me a very cute, special, made me cry letter. He is so good about putting lots of time into what he's thinking and very good at expressing it. Then yesterday he ran to the store and bought me roses. We experience the commercial side of Valentines Day on the 15th. We always have almost from the first day. Roses were only $7 for a dozen! Ya know though it hit me that I would much rather receive the letter he wrote for me than to get flowers or anything else the world offers. But they are some pretty flowers don't get me wrong!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: