Monday, June 20, 2011

Father's Day

Steve called me up a couple days ago and told me not to worry about buying him a Father's Day present. He had just bought a tile saw for work and it was a little pricey. Anyway I guess by now I should be used to this, he does it every year. But I did have something in mind this year so I decided I better not do it and started thinking again (cheap cheap cheap thinking). That's when my friend told me what she was doing. She had just bought all these letters and took pictures of her kids. That works for me! So we borrowed the letters and started photographing. Here is some of what we got. I loved how their personalities totally came through in this. We had so much fun doing it!






















Originally I was going to cut out 3 pictures and put them all together but then Damen had the idea of putting them on the ground and doing it. I loved the idea but only did the heart. Kenna was not liking it that much so I started tickling her with my foot and that's why she is laughing so hard.




But then we tried it with all letters and she was done but the rest of the kids look so cute we ended up using these last two for what we did. I love how they turned out I'm definitely framing the heart one!



So then we bough all these "Hersey nuggets" and made a treasure hunt. We called it our love nugget hunt. They hid all these love nuggets with clues that then led Dad to the piano room where we had these two pictures on the piano for him. The kids really are his love nuggets! Then all day long they would come up to Steve and give him a love nugget along with a bear hug, whenever they darn well pleased. It really was a lot of fun. I hope Steve loved it as much as they did.

I just wanted to say as well how grateful I am for my Fathers. I am truly blessed to have such wonderful men in my life. Dad has always been such a source of strength and encouragement. He's calm and I rarely remember him getting upset with things, but I cherish the times he would sit on my bed and talk to me growing up. I might not have showed gratitude for it but now I look back with fondness of those times. In fact it was one of those times that I realized that I really did want to marry Steve. Dad had helped me work through my thoughts and feelings and I am grateful for that.


I am also grateful for a dad I never really got to know well. That's Daddy. The first time I met him Steve and I were outside the house getting ready to go in and wrap some presents when Daddy was just there. It was dark outside so I hadn't seen him and he couldn't see me very well either, but he came up and reached out with both hands and put them on my cheeks and pulled me in so he could see. I remember thinking that was weird but now it's funny how I look back at that and cherish that moment in time. I wasn't able to be around him much but am grateful for the powerful influence he has had in my life through Steve and his influence on him. So for that I am grateful for Daddy.


I am also grateful for my boys who we are hopefully raising to be wonderful fathers and husbands. I love them so much.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Cathy Brian said...

whew!! I just had to do a lot of reading. I've been so busy I don't spend much time in the house or on the computer. So I just caught up on your blog. I Love the pictures with the kids and letters. That was a great idea!! The hard part for me is that I now have two teenage boys who think they're too old for pictures. sigh!! I love reading your blog. If you haven't done a blog book you ought to. I love the one I did. It's fun to see the kids reading it and remembering.

Adams Family said...

Crap, I always love your ideas. I read this one first and thought, "I want to do that for Grandma and or Grandpa," as well as cried because you brought up my love for Dads. Then I read the rocket blog and though, "man, I want to borrow the rocket thing that is so awesome."