Monday, June 14, 2010

A Freezing Project

Last week we got home from Richfield and after having purchased 2o lbs of meat down there I went to put it in my freezer. Well to my surprise I found and ice cycle that was 2 ft long. I thought that was strange so I started feeling around. Everything on top, including the turkey that was dripping blood making the ice cycle was thawed and everything on the bottom was frozen. I was baffled. So we quickly took everything out and found new homes for our food then went to bed dreading the morning and what I was going to have to do to get it fixed.

We I went to work first thing and defrosted our freezer and melted the 2 inches of ice in the bottom and tried to figure out what was wrong. My only guess was that the fan was not working and pushing the cold air up to the top. So I started making phone calls. I knew that it would cost me $75 just to have someone come out and look at it and then the price of the part on top of that. I don't know about anyone else but I don't have money for that right now. So the only option was for me to somehow figure out how to fix it on my own. I figured if repair men can do it with little education so could I since I do have some.

One place quoted me $90 for the part and then I knew I had to fix it I was not going to pay $165+ for this stupid freezer. I finally got a hold of another place and they told me $50-60 that was much better just 15 minutes away instead of 5. So I got in and headed down to Orem. I must say the place was a dump, however the most friendly people in the world! I showed him what I needed and I figured he would come back with the exact part I needed, he did come back and told me that after welding a few things and combining a few parts he would have what I needed , I didn't care as long as my freezer worked. While he did that I talked to one of the men that worked there and he told me all about how the owner himself is all about helping people fix their own problems. They do repair work too but he would rather teach someone how to do it (my kind of people)!!! So about 15 minutes and $45 dollars later I had my part and was headed home. I went down to fix it and realized they had put a part on wrong so I took it all apart and fixed it the right way and was just putting it in when Steve got home.

He said he would take over, but I was not about to let him at this point. I had figured out what was wrong, I had made the calls and got the part, I had disassembled the freezer and by darn I was going to put it back together without any help from him. I am a woman and I can do guys things too! So I did, and can I tell you. I was so proud of myself. The neat thing is, all day long I kept thinking of Grandpa Hoopes and Grandpa Bailey, both do it yourselfers and very knowledgeable when it came to electrical stuff. Whether they were guiding me or just on my mind all day I don't know but I was grateful that I come from a heritage of people who aren't afraid to just go and fix the problem when it needs fixed. I told Steve, "my grandpas would be so proud of me right now." His response was perfect "Heck with your grandpas, I'm proud of you." I loved hearing that and it did feel so good to have accomplished something I wasn't sure I would be able to do when I started.

1 comment:

Techno Grandma said...

Isn't fixing things fun? I've done washer, dryer, furnace, and hot water heater. Oh, and the insides of the toilet tank. It's all quite satisfying.