Thursday, August 12, 2010

While the Cats Away the Mice will Play

Steve has been gone since Sunday night. All of us miss him A LOT! I have tried to keep the kids entertained to just take their minds off of it. I keep telling them "well Dad would just be at work now anyway so stop thinking about it." But it's not working for them or me. But we are staying busy.

On Monday we went and did all the school shopping. Just call me nutso mom, because yes I took the girls with me. What was I thinking? But it's all done. I decided to do it all in a day so I wouldn't be an awful Mom for 2 different days.

On Tuesday I took the kids swimming. It was a milestone day at the pool. (I've wished so many times this week that I had my camera, but we sent it with Steve) Seth started doing flips off the diving board. Back flips are his specialty. He also does a thing he calls a "come together" (I don't know where that name came from) "basically Mom it's a cartwheel and a flip in one." "Seth they already have a name for that, it's called an aerial." However he tries to do dives and just can't. Who would have thought that a dive would be harder than a flip. I always thought I was just too chicken to do flips, but I can do a great dive. I've had it backwards this whole time.

Railey is now going under the water "by myseowf" She just bounces up and down all over in the water until she goes under. I will get a picture of her face coming up out of the water when Steve comes back, because it is priceless. It's a "I'm so proud of myself, I love the water, I'm big, I'm beautiful and cute and everything else" all in one little smiling look. It's priceless.

Damen started floating on his back and was pretty proud of himself for doing that. He loves diving for things in the pool but doesn't care much for going off the diving board. He says his legs always come open and it "really hurts my privates." Poor kid, we got to keep those legs together.

On Wednesday we went swimming again and also went and picked from the garden. Lots and lots of corn, green beans, couple squash, tons of peppers and my whole colander full of strawberries!

We do have great kids and I really am glad they miss their Dad it shows how important he is to them. They love him because he shows them love and shows them that they are the most important thing in his life. I know because he does the same with me. He deserves this break but we sure are looking forward to him coming home on Sunday. They look forward to skyping him every morning, though not much is said and the mic is fought over they can't wait to see him and ask if he has bought their presents yet and how big the fish were from the day before. Today Seth even made a sign to show on the video camera it said "The wrld's gratest Dad" and "I love You."

If you do end up reading this Steve we are really looking forward to you coming home but hope you have loads of fun while you're there!

No comments: